In the first photo you can see the first leaf casting that I attempted. I used the back side of a hosta leaf the veins on the back sides of leaves are usually thicker which gives good grooves or definition to the concrete. Advised cure time of concrete depending on the type of concrete differs. My bag stated at least 30 days before waterproofing or staining. So my hosta leaf sat in the shed for 30 days to cure. It has been painted in the second photo. The waterproof label states that the waterproof material added to the concrete should be allowed to cure for 48 hours before submitting to natural weather. Tonight I will waterproof the back and reveal my banana leaf steps.
This is the concrete waterproofing product that I am using. About a week ago I water proofed the top of the painted concrete leaf, but I did not photograph the process, I was wearing gloves and had never done it before and was not sure how it was going to turn out. Today I finally carved out 10 minutes of my evening and waterproofed the back of the leaf, and got photos of the process.
I shook the gallon container a few times to make sure its mixed well and to make sure there was still liquid in the container. I poured it directly onto the leaf back, the liquid is very thin and has a milky look to it. It soaks into the concrete quickly, it is not very easy to spread. I ended up pouring the liquid on in several different places on the leaf back to make sure I got all the back and sides completely covered. Within minutes the leaf back looked exactly as before. But suggested cure time for waterproofing with this product is 48 hours. So once again, we play the waiting game.
This photo was taken about 3 minutes after I had applied the water proofing material to the entire back side of the hosta concrete leaf.
Stepping stone was put in the ground this weekend! So cute! So little!
My husband and I finished painting our grape leaves tonight.
My husbands’ leaf is on the left and mine is on the right. We figured out this evening that all of the super cool shiney leaf castings we have seen have probably been using metallic paints. Which is what I have used this evening.