I worked on the turtle neck of my Hela costume this evening. I started with turning my top inside out and popping it on.
Then with help from the husband We drew on what sections I wanted to cut away in order to have the shoulders out. I used a tan colored pencil, rubs off easy- and in case it doesn’t thats why we flipped the shirt inside out.
And the side/back close up.
Then the shirt comes off and gently cutting begins. Then the shoulders are off, trying it on to make sure I don’t need to take any more off anywhere.
Shoulders are gone! Then I found the old bra I wanted to sacrifice for the costume and pinned the shirt to the bra. I put the bra on and then the shirt on correctly with the right side out and then carefully pinned the shirt to the bra in strategic places in order to know where I need to stitch. I will be taking out the wires later for comfort, but I need a good shape for the beginning of sewing.
I am leaving the straps on the bra- I can slide them off shoulder and that is also where I want to attach the cape mainly for structure and strength and for easy attachment as well as a great deal of flexibility.
The next part I took off the top and bra and started hand stitching them as one. I do a great deal of hand stitching because I have found it to be quicker and more precise for myself.
So all I got done tonight was a bit of sewing but here it is.
I decided to attach a bra to the inside to give it the best shape structure in order to work on putting on the overlay fabric. I am glad I got a bunch of this overlay material because I realized tonight that I need to pay close attention to the sample photos I am using to see which angle the pattern is laying (oval overlay) I need to be able to recreate the same exact pattern angles will only pose as a slight bit more work.
We worked on getting great under threads. Leggings were first. I really like no nonsense brand and they fit great. These were what I got.
No Nonsense Women’s Cotton Legging, Black, Large
Next was a black turtle neck. It needed to be nice and form fitting. We went to several different stores trying on a ton of tops. What I found best was at Costco. It was a two pack white and black turtle neck set for under $20
In my earlier post I had found a great black over lay material to give me the textured look with out the heavy and super hot look of rubber or plastic/leather and the comfort of cotton. The lighting isnt perfect but I think it looks great layered.
This weekend in our non stop weekend warrior lives we got the green material. We purchased 4 yards because we are going to use it for the cape as well as the green accents on the main body of the costume. We probably only needed to get three yards but I mess up sometimes. The material was 30% off original price and then I found an online coupon for an additional 20% off my total purchase. Which saved me just over $29 on the green material. I highly suggest always using coupons. It makes my life more affordable.
One of the key elements that I look for in a material is how much it is going to fray when it is cut. This green that we purchased is spandex and will not fray much at all when cut so I do not have to worry about stitching the edges I can just cut out the shape and hot glue it on.
My husband and I greatly love Halloween. We work very hard at trying to make most of our costumes from scratch every year. We are both very creative and a bit on the crafty side. They usually work out well!
Hela from Thor Ragnarok. When the movie came out in November of 2017 I started right then and there growing out my hair to be Hela for Halloween 2018.
My hair is naturally curly-easily fixed with a flat iron. But its not black. So we just dyed it last week. I will have to touch up before the big day in October because my roots will have grown, but I wanted to make sure I was okay with the change and because I have a few allergies, wanted to make sure I was not allergic to the hair dye.
I used nice and easy brown/black.
Movie hair on top-my hair on bottom. Pretty close.
Next step was checking out her threads close up.
We watched the movie again recently on Netflix and I was confident I could do it.
It is not going to be 100% movie accurate but it will be in our price range and much more comfortable in the chilly Pennsylvania night then leather would be.
We noticed on the close-up that there is a unique texture and we hit the local fabric store to find something similar. When we found the fabric that we purchased for the main body, we were so excited that it was the exact texture that we needed. When we pulled the bolt out and layed out the fabric in our hands we had a moment of panic. It was a bit sheer! But together we realized quickly that we could layer it over tight black clothing and then we wouldn’t need to develop a whole pattern. 30% off and we were sold!
My next challenge was finding inexpensive black leggings, they will only ever be used for this costume. So we didn’t want to spend much.
We found some that fit great!
Next was a black turtle neck!
- We are off to a good quick start! The quicker I have my costume complete, the sooner I can start assisting my huz with his yet to be determined costume.